Today I would love to share with you a few of my favorite things. Of course, they involve food!
Primal Meals Search
I often get this question: ” Sooo… If I eliminate the grains and sugars, wouldn’t my meal options be limited?” Nope, I say. The variety of clean meals is proportional to your desire to cook and experiment. I know how overwhelming it might be, especially in the beginning. When I started eating clean in 2012, I neither had access to many online resources or the time to research them when going to school full-time. I was sticking to The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson and Loren Cordain’s books.
There are so many outstanding bloggers out there and a gazillion recipes. It is also hard to know what is going to turn out well. I hear you, friend. Personally, I have tested many of them. And some were not very edible! Also if you are a big fan of bread, pizza, and desserts, you will go through a lot of trouble before finding some good stuff to satisfy your cravings. I made cakes that tasted like chalk, cookies that looked like crackers, and “super creative” vegetable dishes that went to the trash can without reaching my belly. Oh well. Live and learn?
If you looking to “healthy-fi” your diet, or just starting to eat properly ( I mean, Paleo, Primal, Keto, Low Carb High Fat), you are already doing great. Hopefully, the resources below will inspire and satisfy you even more.
A few things you need to know about these blogs to make the best of them:
Primal recipe Blogs for Beginners
– There is still an ongoing discussion about what is strict Paleo, and what not. Stick to the basics at least 80% of the time if you are a beginner for better results. Leave those white potatoes and rice behind ( the majority of the time).
– Many Primal and Paleo bloggers started adding faux-foods, or “gluten-free” items to their diets in large quantity. Proceed with caution: I recommend using these as a treat, and making sure to read the ingredient list because often it is a trap!
– Don’t make it too complicated or fancy. When the recipe is asking you to stay in the kitchen for two hours and go through 111 steps, maybe you could spend that time with your favorite people instead of creating a masterpiece ( that will be gone in 5). Simplicity is key.
– I have included strict Paleo blogs here as well. Most recipes of these folks could be adapted to both, strict Paleo and Primal lifestyle.
Please note that these below are my personal preferences. By no means, I am not the National Association of Food Bloggers member to judge anyone. You might not be able to stand Juli’s humor or Paleo Chef’s sarcasm but I love these bloggers dearly and made their phenomenal recipes many times. The order is random as well, no ranking.
Top 10 Primal Recipe Blogs for Beginners
1.The Paleo Chef. Mary Shenouda is an awesome chick. This lady is a private chef, inspiring entrepreneur, and her recipes are mouth-watering. She takes fancy-shmancy to a whole new level, yet does not make you labor in the kitchen for days. And she is Greek – I think that’s cool.
2. Primal Palate. I have been following Hayley and Bill Staley for a while. They are the authors of multiple cookbooks, producers of the highest quality of Organic spices, and a cute couple. I make their primal Carrot Cake once a year for my husband’s birthday because it tastes better than the regular one.
3. Balanced Bites. Diane Sanfilippo has been around the block for a while. She has published a few books, launches 21-Day Sugar Detox program regularly, and has a very informative podcast called Balanced Bites podcast. Her Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl is to die for.
4. The Feisty Kitchen. This wonderful lady from Northern California has some incredible photography skills. Every time I see her recipes, I want to drop everything and run to the kitchen. Needless to say, I have no such skills…The food is top-notch. I love her simple daily meals.
5. All Day I Dream About Food. My go-to site for pseudo-foods like pizza, garlic knots, etc. Carolyn does an amazing job of making low-carb treats that are great for kids as well. The recipes are so simple and doable, you may even involve kids in the process.
6. PaleOMG. Juli’s is a Denver-based blogger, CrossFitter, puppy lover, and a cookbook writer. Her famous Pizza Spaghetti pie has no pizza in it, but it is a ridiculously delicious dish I made for non-Primal folks who loved it many times. She also has a fitness and fashion flavor to her blog, so if that is your taste, you might like that.
7. Health-Bent. Megan and Brandon are creators of this wonderful resource. This is my latest discovery, and currently, I would like to make time to recreate ALL of their meat recipes. Nom nom.
8. Nom Nom Paleo. Speaking of nom noms! Michelle has such a variety of flavors and cuisines in her recipes, you will never tire of choosing among her dishes. I love to refer to her blog when I want to make clean versions of my favorite sauces or quick crockpot dishes.
9. Paleo Paparazzi. Kendra’s pictures make me salivate. Her food always looks so fresh and inviting. I absolutely love her sweet potato creations.
10. Civilized Caveman. George Bryant is a cookie! Former Marine turned the paleo chef, and cookbook author. His library of recipes seems endless and would fit any demands. And did I say cookie?
I could probably continue with the list forever, but I won’t. These ten should have you situated for a while. I have been following most of these cool bloggers for over 4 years, and still have a virtual list of yummy things to make for my family which is great, because I do not plan on changing my lifestyle because of some pesky pizza cravings, or a donut dream. Pizza can come my way in a clean form.
I hope you will enjoy these wonderful websites as much as I do. Remember to choose veggies, meats, and healthy oils as your base. Just eat real food or JERF…. And then, have a cookie once in a while. We live once, and an almost clean primal cookie is a great way to splurge. What are your favorite recipe blogs or accounts?
Author: Anya Perry
Anya Perry battled boring diets, low energy, and declining health for over 10 years before she found what works. Now, she helps women achieve their dream state of health, fitness, and vitality… without the struggles, battles of miserable diets and yo-yo results. She can’t live without coffee and challenges.